We actively promote British values through
Focusing on and showing how the school’s work is effective in securing these values. Challenging pupils, staff, visitors or parents who express opinions contrary to British values
Democracy – what do we do?
- Class voting for the election of school councillors at the start of the year;
- Provide pupils with a broad general knowledge of, and promote respect for, public institutions and services;
- Teach pupils how they can influence decision-making through the democratic process;
- Taught through assemblies and our school curriculum;
- Encourage pupils to become involved in decision-making processes and ensure they are listened to in school;
- Help pupils to express their views;
- Model how perceived injustice can be peacefully challenged
Rule of law – what do we do?
- Ensure school rules and expectations are clear and fair;
- Class rules and celebration of adhering to these rules;
- Help pupils to distinguish right from wrong;
- Help pupils to respect the law and the basis on which it is made;
- Help pupils to understand that living under the rule of law protects individuals;
- Explore laws within our PSHE Lessons and what to do if peer pressure is trying to persuade children to break these;
Individual liberty – what do we do?
- Support pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem, self-confidence;
- Encourage pupils to take responsibility for their behaviour, as well as knowing their rights;
- Model freedom of speech through pupil participation, while ensuring protection of vulnerable pupils and promoting critical analysis of evidence
- Challenge stereotypes;
- Implement a strong anti-bullying culture;
- E-Safety units of work are taught throughout school and parents and staff receive training on these.
Mutual Respect and tolerance of different cultures and religions– what do we do?
- Explore positive role models (where possible) through our topics;
- Challenge prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour;
- Organise visits to places of worship;
- Assemblies and teaching about a wide range of world celebrations including Diwali, Eid, Christmas;
- Our RE scheme ensures that our children have a good understanding of a range of religious beliefs and customs;
- Help pupils to acquire an understanding of, and respect for, their own and other cultures and ways of life;